2/02/2010

Review of AppleScript in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference (Nutshell Handbook) (Paperback)

This book is somewhat out of date, first of all; it covers only a fairly old version of OS X, doesn't mention AppleScript Studio at all, etc.This is somewhat understandable, and it is at least much more up-to-date than Danny Goodman's book.
But the writing -- my god!It has the feel of a book that was written in one draft and never edited.Every single page of the book (and I just finished reading it cover to cover) had errors, typos, bugs, and poorly worded or unclear passages.In many cases I re-read sections several times and was simply unable to decipher what they were trying to say at all.I am a very experienced programmer (worked at Apple for several years, in fact), and I couldn't make head or tail of some of the passages in the book.There are huge omissions (I can find no explicit description of what "get" does, for example, anywhere in the reference section of the book).Many subtle (but important) details are glossed over completely.
Just pathetic that this is the best book available on AppleScript.I wish I could get my money back, on this and on Danny Goodman's book.I give it two stars instead of one because at least it is reasonably up to date and occasionally helpful.



Click Here to see more reviews about: AppleScript in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference (Nutshell Handbook) (Paperback)

No comments:

Post a Comment